Monday, May 23, 2011

Armchair BEA Day 1: Why Col Reads


Getting tenure is a crazy thing. You read and you research and you research and you read until you think you never want to see another book! At least that’s what happened to me. When I finally got the fabulous news that I had indeed earned tenure, I had what I call an “end-of-the-wedding” moment. You know what I mean: you realize you’ve been so fixated on the current goal (throwing a huge party, having a baby, securing employment for the rest of your life, insert life altering event here) that you forgot to think about WHAT COMES NEXT!

It dawned on me that without the avenging Erinyes breathing down my neck, I could actually have some FUN. So I did what any nerd would do: I went out and bought a novel that had absolutely NOTHING to do with my work! And I read it in one sitting. It was awesome.

Right then and there I decided what gift I wanted for earning tenure: the gift of reading for pleasure again. And that, my friends, is why Col Reads!

My first thought was to join a book group, but I didn’t know anyone who was part of one. I didn’t know that many people in town – there’s nothing like the tenure track to make a hermit out of even the most social being – so starting my own book group wasn’t really an option. So I did some research online, and found my first reading challenge, the What’s in a Name 3 Challenge hosted by Beth Fish Reads. I needed someplace to park my reviews, so voila: a blog was born.

Because I read for pure pleasure, I read a quirky and eclectic mix of books: international literary fiction, classics, non-fiction and mysteries are my favorite genres, but there’s almost nothing I won’t try at least once! I love the social aspects of book blogging, and I’ve “met” some wonderful people from around the world with similar reading interests – not easy to find in a small college town! I love to use challenges to find new reading ideas and new blogs to follow. If you leave me a message and a link, I’d love to check out yours!

Hope you’re enjoying Armchair BEA!

15 comments:

  1. Colleen,

    Nice to learn about you! I just finished Bossypants myself, I like Tina's wry humor and I figured her book would be a fun read! The book blogosphere is a fun place, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful! So glad that you got back into reading after fearing that you wouldn't enjoy it after so much hard work. I found, some years after I graduated college, that I missed reading and discussing my reading, even more so. I started the blog and then decided to create a book club in the city. I now have 8 awesome ladies that meet every two weeks. I've actually made many new friends! I encourage you to attempt to start a reading group. It's so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm doing Armchair BEA too. It's nice to learn a little more about the people behind the blogs I visit.

    I didn't have a book group to join either and then I found goodreads and began writing reviews and eventually put them on my own blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Col, nice visiting with you on your beautiful blog. There are so many good reasons for why we read the things we do. Except for when I have to research something, I read for pure pleasure as well. Why not? Somebody has to. :)

    Those sweet potato pancakes sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm finally visiting some of the bloggers that I know on Twitter and you're on my list (and now in my Reader). This event is just what I needed right now to get to know more bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Col - ain't reading grand? Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that story. I never knew that! I hope you have lots of fun this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know just what you mean about wanting to not read anything for a long time; being in the classroom, especially as the student, can do that! I hate obligatory reading. Anyway, it was great to read a little more about you, friend. Looking forward to our Penelopiad discussion a week from today. Need to finish that baby...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to read for pleasure - one of life's nicest luxuries. I enjoyed your post :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great introductory post! I haven't sat down and read a book in 1 sitting in a long time; it sounds so great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Col, that's a great story! Such a pity, though, that you can't find like minded readers in your town. There must be some!

    I have a real-life book group that fluctuates in membership between 6 and 10 or so but we're still going and it's great fun.

    I think reading is a great present for yourself and I hope you can keep it going for a long time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, everybody. Thanks so much for stopping by my virtual living room! I should have mentioned that the book I read in one sitting was The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. So needless to say, that book is near and dear to my heart. I really would still like to belong to a book club. Maybe I'll put up a flyer at the library--sounds like a place to find like-minded readers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hah, congrats on reaching tenure and for maintaining your sanity and love for books despite the hard work. and glad to see that you've found a passion here in blogland. :)

    have a great Armchair BEA week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you rediscovered reading after gaining tenure! The social aspect of book blogging is my favourite thing about it. I've never had so many people to share my love of reading with before!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great reward to give yourself! I also enjoy reading an eclectic variety of books. I think I'd quickly become bored if I stuck to one genre!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments. Thanks for taking the time to share! Col