Thursday, October 14, 2010

Read A Myth: In which our heroine takes on another challenge and hopes you will join her, because it looks like fun!


All I can say is thanks, Bellezza dear!

Having already committed (emotionally, at least) to two 2011 challenges (Beth Fish Reads' What's in a Name 4, because version 3 was my first-ever challenge, and Black Sheep Dances' Eastern European Challenge, which hasn't even been announced yet but sounds so interesting I can't wait to join), I had decided I was going to eschew other challenges and chart my own reading course come January 1.

Not so fast! Yesterday, Bellezza announced she was joining the Read A Myth Challenge. She was so excited I had to investigate. An entire year to read a flexible number of books, based on the myths from cultures of your choice! Academic literature is encouraged. The button features Artemis, my daughter's favorite goddess (and her Halloween costume, as it turns out). I started to do a little research and suddenly the possibilities were amazing - in a fit of enthusiasm I signed on the dotted line!

Here's where my list stands so far:

The Penelopiad, Margaret Atwood
Prince of Ayodha, Ashkor Banker
Psyche in a Dress,Francesca Lia Block
The Firebrand, Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony, Roberto Calasso
Goddess of Yesterday, Caroline Cooney
Runemarks, Joanne Harris

I'll need one more to reach Level 4, but I'm assuming I'll get plenty of ideas as others begin to log their books! Maybe something based on the myths of Egypt?

If you have any suggestions, let me know.

3 comments:

  1. Yay!!! I'm so glad you're going to join What's in a Name 4. It really is a fun one. And pretty easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth F -- I love it because it's so fun and flexible, and it works for anyone. My daughter Ellie was so excited about the What's in a Name Challenge that she shared it with her class. Her teacher loved the idea, and is now using a modified version for their independent reading this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll read the Atwood novel with you. Glad we're in this together! (I wanted to comment on this sooner, but I was (ahem) at school. Where we're not supposed to blog, if you know what I mean.)

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments. Thanks for taking the time to share! Col